Longview Chapel Preschool and Parents Day Out Handbook
850 SW Longview Road
Lee’s Summit, MO 64081
Welcome to Longview Chapel Preschool and Parents Day Out!
Starting school at any age is an important milestone in your child’s life. Being a part of Longview Chapel Preschool will be both a unique and exciting experience for your child.
This handbook is a resource for you and your family. Answers to many questions can be found here. However, feel free to contact me or your child’s teacher whenever you have a question or concern!
We are very excited to partner with you in the growth and development of your child!
We are a offer a drop off/pick up line for your convenience. Please make sure someone is there to greet your child. If you would like to walk your child in and check out the bulletin boards of children's artwork, please feel free to do so. Just remember, teachers are getting rooms ready for the day, so don't come in before 8:55. If a person comes to pick up your child and their name is not on the pick up list, they will NOT be allowed to take your child until the parent is notified for permission. You should pick your child up on time. If you are late in picking up your child, you will be charged a fee of $15.00 an hour starting fifteen minutes after dismissal. This extra charge will be billed to your account.
Students are requested to bring a backpack daily. Teachers will not check backpacks for notes or special instructions. If you have a note, please have it ready to hand it to the teacher. Also, please keep a spare set of clothing in the backpack for “just in case” times. Please include pants, shirt, underwear, and socks. If your child is not potty trained, he/she will need to keep diapers, wipes, etc. in his/her backpack.
We work with parents to provide an environment that is safe for all children. Working on social development skills is an important part of our curriculum. We use positive reinforcement to help build a child’s self-confidence. Students are accountable for all behavior choices. They will have time to reflect on their behavior choices through redirection and discussion. Students may be temporarily removed from an activity when necessary for safety issues. Parents will be contacted if a continued problem occurs.
Children may bring in store bought treats to share for their birthday. If you wish to bring treats, please make arrangements with your child’s teacher. For the safety of all, we are not allowed to distribute homemade or opened packages of food. Please check for food allergies in your child’s room.
Book orders will be distributed approximately every two months. If you wish to order, make checks payable to Scholastic. Please do not send cash.
We have lots of fun at the Chapel. We have several gatherings that include parents. These events are throughout the school year.
*Fall Fun Day, Halloween Parade, Christmas Program, Sweetheart Breakfast, Easter Egg Hunt, Luau
This is a special time with Ms. Rhonda, our family life minister. The kids will learn about Christian values and say a little prayer.
Students will work with paint, glue, and markers, so please dress your child in casual clothing. Label your child’s name on jackets and coats on the inside tag.
Communication between the teacher and parent is very important. Please keep us informed of changes of address, phone number, etc. Weekly emails are sent by your child's teacher and the director. Monthly calendars will be sent out so you know what skills your child will be working on and any other upcoming events at school.
Parent – Teacher conferences for children will be scheduled in March for the PreK and 3/4 Year Old Class. Additional conferences may be scheduled as needed. Progress reports will go home at the end of the year.
Everyday children will be immersed in activities that foster growth in all developmental areas. Students will be involved in…
· Circle/Calendar Time-Pledge, sing songs, calendar, letter of the week, and theme review
· Center Time-Children decide or plan where they will work and what will be done. Implement their plan in one of these areas: art, blocks, dramatic play, toys/games, math, library/listening, discovery, sensory table, or writing.
· Clean-up-Materials are returned back where they belong
· Snack Time-Each student will be assigned a day to bring a store bought snack.
· Directed Activity-Children are involved in a small lesson that focuses on a specific academic skill.
· Movement Time-A time to develop large muscle skills.
* Story Time - Everybody loves a good story!
Longview Chapel Parents Day Out and Preschool Program are for children ages 2,3,4, and 5. Children will be in age appropriate classrooms.
Please feel free to send me an email to:
In the event of a tornado warning, students and staff will move to an area in the basement with no windows visible. They will take cover in the proper position. In the event of a fire alarm, students will be taken out the nearest exit. If an emergency lock down is announced, staff members will implement the following procedures:
· Staff will check and lock all doors, including classrooms.
· Students will be asked to get into lock down position by getting to an area in the room where they can not be seen through any of the windows.
Field trips will be planned for the upcoming year. These trips are designed to provide the children with hands on and fun learning experiences that go beyond the classroom environment. Written permission will be sent home prior to each field trip.
Ms. Cindy loves teaching Gymnastics and the kids love her class. It is amazing to watch the kids develop their gross motor skills and learn ways to stay healthy.
For the protection for your child and others children, parents are asked to not bring a child when the following occurs:
· Fever of 100 degrees or higher within the last 24 hours.
· Vomiting or diarrhea within the last 24 hours.
· Any symptom of a childhood disease, such as German measles, mumps, chicken pox
· Any unexplained rash
· Any skin infection
· Pink eye, or any other eye infection
All children will be required to present proof of current immunizations. Proof of immunizations must be on file in our office before the child will be allowed to attend school.
We have students bring lunch on Tuesdays andThursdays. Please pack accordingly as lunches will not be put in the refrigerator.
Longview Chapel Parents Day Out/Preschool
Preschool Main 816-763-8074
Fax Number 816-763-6847
Our program will run with the Lee’s Summit School District with the exception of the 1st day and the last day of school. If the district is closed for a holiday or break we will also be closed. In the event of inclement weather, please tune into local news and radio channels for appropriate school closings information. If the Lee’s Summit School District is closed, we will be too.
School will begin after Labor Day, September 5, 2017.
Class times are Tuesday/Thursday 9:00-1:00, Wednesday 10:00-1:00.
For some students, this will be their first school setting experience. Please stay with your child for a few minutes, and if they appear to be adjusting well, tell them good-bye. If some anxiety begins, tell your child you will stay a few more minutes, and then say your good-byes. Some children may cry, but staff members will help your child settle down. Here are some suggestions to help your family through a rough time…
· Talk with your child about what to expect: where the school is located, what activities he/she will be engaging in, when mommy or daddy will be back. When children don’t know what is happening, the separation becomes the most difficult.
· Practice the separation beforehand – at home by using toys or books or leaving the room where your child is playing and then returning.
· Keep track of the days remaining before school begins using a calendar and stickers.
· Bring something in your child’s backpack that will calm fears, like a photograph of the family.
· As tough as it may be, parents must not prolong their goodbyes. Keep it simple and try establishing a ritual, such as two kisses and a hug. Always tell your child you are leaving.
· It’s important for a parent to inform their child when they’ll return.
We ask that your child keeps his/her toys at home. We have plenty of manipulatives and toys for your child.
Tuition is due the first class day of the month and is past due by the 15th of the month. Fees received after the 15th will be charged a late fee of $20.00. Fees are paid on a monthly basis as to the number of days in the month. If your child is absent due to illness, vacation, or school cancellation due to emergency conditions, you will still be required to pay for the day missed. A 30 day written notice must be given if your child is exiting the program. You are responsible for the tuition during this time.
We have several opportunities for you to be more involved in our classroom. They include: reading aloud to the class, going on field trips, lending an extra hand during special projects or activities, and doing clerical work such as cutting paper. If you are interested in helping, please send a note to school with your child. Your help is so valuable! Thank you!